Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sewing Therapy

A few girls in the ward and I decided that we needed to  feed our creative appetites, so we started getting together every Monday for an afternoon of working on some sort of crafty project. We each bring our own thing, hang out and maybe eat something yummy! Well, I finished my baby blanket and I've been feeling the need to get into sewing. I feel like if I have some big sewing project then my mind will be distracted from other recent events. But I have also learned that deciding to sew something like a quilt isn't as easy as stitching two pieces of fabric together. I quickly learned the other day that just cutting the darn fabric is tricky! But I went out and bought myself a cutting mat, a rotar (?) cutting thingie and a plastic ruler and began practicing!
         So yesteday at our crafty pow-wow I asked them what I should make and they suggested a tote/bag. So based off of a simply pattern I constructed my very own mini tote! It has so many mistakes and stray pieces of thread it's not even funny. But as long as I keep it far enough away from people's picky eyes and maybe swing it around a bit  no one will notice. :)               Making this bag was also extremely theraputic. I was extremely focused and I felt like I had purpose again, which is something I have felt lacking as of late. Even if my purpose was a short-term goal of finishing that bag, I accomplished it and I felt really good about myself! There is something very rewarding about making something by yourself. 
 I think I'll use it as a scripture case...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so cool. I should learn how to sew... shoot, junior high kids can do it!! Way to go. That looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you, Chi! You are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute! good job! and just in case you need a "purpose" for a few days - something is going in the mail for you right now... hehe. so you can sit and wait for it wondering, "whatever could it be?!"

    ReplyDelete