Monday, July 11, 2011

Pioneer Trek 2011

This past weekend I had the awesome opportunity to go on our stake's pioneer trek with the youth. What a great, fun and downright incredible experience! I was so dang proud of my girls, doing everything with good attitudes, staying upbeat and even enjoying life without all the makeup and cellphones and stuff.


I had two responsibilities while I was up there: I helped with the activities on Thursday, specifically quilt tying( which I myself had never done before but that's the beauty about you tube tutorials!), and then on Friday I was responsible for the vignette on Native Americans. Basically I did some research about Mormon pioneers and Native Americans on the trail and I gave a 5 minutes shpeal  to the youth when they passed my station with their handcarts. The fun part was that I got to dress up like a Native American! I wore a feathered headdress and bead and moccasins! I told them I was from the Sioux tribe and explained how the Mormons and Native Americans got along pretty well for the most part. Then I proceeded to give them "directions" on how to get to their next point since I was acting as their scout. Except I didn't do it in English--I spoke in Romanian and had Sister Rice, who had been hanging out with me, "translate." It was pretty funny because some of the youth actually thought I was Native American and that I was speaking some form of dialect! HAHA! Yay for Romanian being a very unfamiliar language. :)

I was especially proud of the girls when they did the womens' pull. All the men and boys had to leave and the girls had to pull the handcarts for a little over two miles. They were such troopers! There were some parts that were really hard, but they kept pulling, even those who had severe blisters or twisted ankles. I felt like I got a little glimpse of how Heavenly Father must feel when we work through our trials and challenges, and do it with a good attitude.

I'm so glad I went on this trek, even though I was freezing most of the time ( it dropped down into the 30s at night) and even though I'll probably have dust coming out of my nose and ears for the next week!
We had such good food!

Crossing the "river" It was actually just a little muddy pond

The Womens' Pull

Despite the cold, we pioneers are happy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, this sounds SO fun! I've never done this. Haha, about Youtube tutorials! Way to go speaking Romanian. That's so funny they thought you were Native American! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete