Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day As An Afterthought

Every year I work myself up into a tizzy with hopes, high expectations and dreams of a perfect birthday (February 12) followed by a romantic Valentine's Day. I figured that when I got married my dreams of such would always be carried out to a tee now because I had a loving husband who would do anything for me. Now before I continue I must add that I do have a very loving, kind, husband. And he would do anything for me.
Unfortunately, after a few dramatic, tear-filled birthday/Valentine's Days, I learned that he didn't  know what I wanted unless I straight out told him. I, the girly wife, imagined what things he might do for me and he, the handsome husband, frantically waited for me to tell him what I wanted. The results? Disappointment verging on devastation, frustation and drama drama drama. This year, as the notorious birthday/romantic holiday approached, we both joked that it would be a miracle if I didn't cry.

I did cry. But that was only because I cut onions for a soup I made on my birthday.

This year both my birthday and Valentines Day were wonderful and I reflected on why I enjoyed both so much this year. Yes, Jason got me a wonderful gift. He surprised me with a big, beautiful, cozy gliding rocker with an ottoman.



And yet, there seemed to be something more this year. It didn't bother me that I didn't have  the romantic, candlelight dinner with Jason showering me with flowers, chocolates and other tokens of love. It didn't bother me that I didn't have breakfast in bed, or a big birthday cake ( although I did make myself a little German Chocolate cake). It didn't bother me that I didn't have the "ideal" Valentine's Day. Instead, I realized that I already had the best thrill/excitement/joy given to me in the form of my little girl. Nothing could surpass the thrill I had in bringing her into the world. Nothing could surpass the joy I experience every day when I look at her beautiful little face and she smiles at me. Nothing could surpass the excitement I have when I wake up and remember I have a beautiful little baby waiting for me in the next room. Step aside birthday and Valentine's day, I already got my gift this year, and she is the greatest token of love.
And yes, you can say that Jason is the one who gave her to me.

4 comments:

  1. How sweet. If it makes you feel any better, I forgot it was Valentines day earlier this week and Jefferson was sick. How's that for romantic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. valentine's is ALL about the kids. until their bedtime. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetest post. Happy birthday, valentines day, and happiest of happy baby. :)

    P.S. MORE PICTURES OF CLAIRE BEAR!!! Do it and Auntie Lizzie might bring her a little somethin' somethin' come April!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah. This post made me laugh out loud. Us girls are funny. Reminded me of my first birthday being married and being positive that he was just "pretending" to not have planned something. 8pm rolled around and reality set in. Dramatic night let's just says that :)

    ReplyDelete