Monday, September 5, 2011

Another Summer Read

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

One word for this book. Lame. The plot was predictable, the main character unbelievable and overall it took a while for me to get through. About 2/3 in the book got slightly interesting, so that's why I gave it two stars. But overall I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. My biggest beef was probably the main character, Flavia. I found her obnoxious. Besides, I don't think I've read a book with so many random references and words I didn't know since middle school. What 11 year old is using 6 syllable words or breaking down chemical compounds as afterthoughts? Maybe I was just an extremely stupid 11 year old. She made so many obscure references to old English ( I'm assuming) movies,books and plays that I had a very hard time catching any meaning in her statements half the time. Way to not get me hooked, Alan Bradley.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. HA!! I love how brutally honest this is. I've never read it, myself. Guess I might not, now! :-)

    ReplyDelete