Monday, May 9, 2011

The Amazing Walking Foot!

So I have begun the quilting process and my oh my it proved to be much harder than I thought! All that fabric shifting around and don't even get me started on trying to sew a straight line! But I have discovered something that has eased the pain--the incredible walking foot. Don't ask me why I didn't know about this before I started quilting. Apparently this is one of those "must-haves" for quilting and I somehow missed that in the bazillion quilting blogs and tutorials I have read in the last 24 hours.
                         But after doing a pretty botched up job on my first coin column I decided I needed to contact the experts: namely my friend Allison who has turned out some great quilts and the all-wise, all-knowing quilting diva, Crystal Stanworth. ( lucky for me this diva also happens to be my sister-in-law so by law she has to help me! hah!) They both flat out said I needed a walking foot. This special foot helps to feed the fabric not only on the bottom but on the top of the quilt as well, making for even, not stretched material.

Here are the results. See if you can spot the difference:

The bottom column I did without the walking foot; the next one I used the walking foot.


You can really see the difference here. Column closer to the top is the first one again. the one on the bottom is walking foot column.

The real question is now, do I care enough to go back, rip out the stitches and redo the first one. The husband is saying "definitely yes!" We'll see how much desire I have by the end...

2 comments:

  1. Yeah!! Glad it worked! Looks great! I vote for ripping out the stitches. I think you'll be glad you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you will regret it FOREVER if you don't rip it out. do it while you watch tv or something. oh, and thanks for the ego boost. i'm going through the "learning how to do it right by making every mistake possible" phase again - i've taken on embroidery... :o)

    ReplyDelete